Re: [SLE] Notebook with XP and SuSE
  • From: Osho GG <oshogg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 08:54:29 -0700
On Monday 23 May 2005 8:34 am, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Osho,
>
> On Monday 23 May 2005 08:21, Osho GG wrote:
> >
> > The reason why I stopped using it were many-fold:
> >
> > 1. Suspend-resume is very painfully slow. If you are a road-warrior,
> > then vmware's suspend/resume will make the notebook suspend/resume
> > very slow. This is because you have to suspend the virtual machine
> > before you suspend the physical one and then resume the virtual
> > machine after you resume the physical one. I have found that this
> > takes anywhere from 2 to 3 minutes depending on the size of RAM
> > allocated to virtual machine and the speed of your machine.
>
> There are a great many options for how VMWare operates that bear very
> heavily on perceived performance. I use it in a way that makes it much
> faster than the default.

There are not many (if any) options to control the speed of suspend/resume a
virtual machine. I tried everything I was suggested in the vmware 5 forums
but there is no way to speed up suspend/resume of virtual machine to a point
that I consider usable.

> > 2. Clock problems while running on batteries. If I start vmware when
> > my notebook is connected to power supply and then remove the power
> > supply; the CPU frequency drops (as it should). This confuses the
> > virtual machine's clock run really fastl. Unfortunately, there is no
> > fix for this.
> > 3. X memory blow up. I found that X was constantly using more and
> > more memory and became unusable after a few days. I had to restart my
> > X server every 2-3 days. I am using X.org 6.8.2. Once I stopped using
> > Vmware; I have had no problems with X memory blow up.
>
> Keep in mind that version 5 was just released. Since VMWare development
> is quite active, it's reasonable to hope and expect (but verify, of
> course) that these issues have been fixed. And VMWare (the company) is
> responsive, so if you report a problem, there's a good chance they'll
> produce a fix.
>
> Both (2) and (3) sound like an outright bugs. They should be reported.

I have tried version 5. It still has these problems. I have also asked for
help by reporting these bugs on vmware 5 forums about these issues but they
have not been fixed.

> > To vmware's credit, it does work well if you are just plugging in
> > your laptop into power supply and do not have to ever suspend/resume
> > your machine.
>
> There's much to VMWare's credit. It's very impressive software.

It is very impressive indeed. I would say it is definitely a high quality
product for desktop users. I wouldn't say the same for notebook users.

--
Osho

< Previous Next >