Re: [SLE] Notebook with XP and SuSE
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:45:40 -0400
I use SUSE and XP on my laptop, I have a Dell Inspiron 5150, specs are:

Lithium Ion Battery (Paid Extra for it)

Nvidia GeForce FX GO 5200 (Paid Extra for it)

15 inches

512 RAM

30 GB HD

M Pentium 4 3.06GHz

DVD-ROM drive

Got a free printer with it.

Total price:

$1,200.00

Not bad for a new laptop with those specs. Works with SUSE out of the box.
and I've tested all the way back to 8.2.

Slackware and Free BSD don't work on it though for some reason, if you use
fdisk topartition you get write errors. Weird. And it's ONLY the console
based installations like Slackware and BSD. But SUSE runs great on it,
finds all hardware and the sound card works without configuraton and so
does th NIC. (I did NOT get wireless, I don't use it, dont want to use it
and the only purpose it serves me is wardriving).

I think it's a fairly cheap price for all you get, so I'll recommend that
or something from IBM. Just don't buy a gateway.

< Previous Next >