Re: [SLE] Notebook with XP and SuSE
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 20:13:25 -0700
Erik,

On Monday 23 May 2005 08:48, Erik Jakobsen wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >
> >There are a great many options for how VMWare operates that bear
> > very heavily on perceived performance. I use it in a way that makes
> > it much faster than the default.
>
> Could you please tell in what way you use it Randall ?

For starters, use physical disks or partitions thereof, not logical
disks emulated as files on the host operating system. Disable snapshots
and debugging. Don't disable acceleration.

By all means install the VMWare tools in the guest OS. They make a huge
difference, especially in graphics and mouse handling and general
smoothness of operation.

On Monday 23 May 2005 08:54, Osho GG wrote:

> There are not many (if any) options to control the speed of
> suspend/resume a virtual machine. I tried everything I was suggested
> in the vmware 5 forums but there is no way to speed up suspend/resume
> of virtual machine to a point that I consider usable.

I wouldn't know--I have no particular use for it. But if it takes so
long to suspend, why not just shut down? The VMWare BIOS start-up is
quite fast. Windows XP's start-up is also far faster than earlier
versions.

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >