RE: [SLE] linux clock drift
  • From: "James D. Parra" <Jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:26:48 -0700

>I have a problem with clock drift on an opteron machine running suse
>9.2. I think I've narrowed the problem down to the kernel clock. I
>stopped NTP so that isn't confusing the issue. I manually set the system
>clock and the hardware clock to match another NTP-synchronized clock
>that is working properly and left it for an hour. The hardware clock is
>still showing the correct time, but the system clock has gained 52
>minutes in an hour.

I have had a similar problem and had to resort to setting a cron job
restarting xntp every 30 minutes. This appears to be a Suse problem (I have
a similar hardware setup as you, 4 dual Opterons running Suse 9.1). The
Mandrake servers I have make use of the drift files frequently. Oddly, I
have noticed that on the Suse boxes the ntp daemon dies for no apparent
reason;
# rcxntpd status
Checking for network time protocol daemon (NTPD): dead

~James

< Previous Next >