RE: [SLE] linux clock drift
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:37:17 +0200
On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 18:26, James D. Parra wrote:
> >I have a problem with clock drift on an opteron machine running suse
> >9.2. I think I've narrowed the problem down to the kernel clock. I
> >stopped NTP so that isn't confusing the issue. I manually set the system
> >clock and the hardware clock to match another NTP-synchronized clock
> >that is working properly and left it for an hour. The hardware clock is
> >still showing the correct time, but the system clock has gained 52
> >minutes in an hour.
>
> I have had a similar problem and had to resort to setting a cron job
> restarting xntp every 30 minutes. This appears to be a Suse problem (I have
> a similar hardware setup as you, 4 dual Opterons running Suse 9.1). The
> Mandrake servers I have make use of the drift files frequently. Oddly, I
> have noticed that on the Suse boxes the ntp daemon dies for no apparent
> reason;
> # rcxntpd status
> Checking for network time protocol daemon (NTPD): dead
>
> ~James

Hi James,

Is every 30 minutes not overdone?

I have ntpdate just once every 24 hours (cron) and even that is too
often, considering the drift:

/var/log/messages.4:Apr 30 01:00:04 fw2 ntpdate[24607]: step time server
193.79.237.14 offset -0.005447 sec

If you need to update it that often, one might have a hw-problem...

Hans