Re: [SLE] syslog-ng configuration.
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:21:24 -0400
On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 18:02 -0500, Robert Paulsen wrote:
> Hmm -- from 9.1 to 9.3 syslog has morphed into syslog-ng.
>
> I have my gateway/router set to send syslog info to my SuSE system. This
> worked fine on 9.1 but I can't figure out how todo it on 9.3.
>
> There are two levels of configuration one can deal with -- the individual
> package's config file (syslog-ng.conf) or the /etc/sysconfig/syslog file. All
> the documentation addresses the first, but comments in that file say to leave
> it alone and use the second. But there is nothing in that file that seems
> appropriate for enabling external connections.
>
> Anyone have experience with this?

You can unload syslog-ng and go back to syslog (on the DVD) or try
using /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.in to configure network logs.

<RANT>
Another one of those "better" updates to a program (syslog) that used to
be fairly easy to configure and now requires six programing classes to
understand the conf syntax. This is sure to win over a hole slew of
windows converts isn't it. What the f**k does this provide that is any
better than plain old syslog?

syslog-ng is supposed to allow you to create/write your own filters (if
you know "c" programming that is). But whether or not is does depends on
whether or not you can define your own facility/level which I cannot see
how. And if you can't why change something that just plain works?
</RANT>

--
Ken Schneider