Re: [SLE] syslog-ng configuration.
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 02:58:08 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2005-05-24 at 19:21 -0400, Ken Schneider wrote:

> Another one of those "better" updates to a program (syslog) that used to
> be fairly easy to configure and now requires six programing classes to
> understand the conf syntax. This is sure to win over a hole slew of
> windows converts isn't it. What the f**k does this provide that is any
> better than plain old syslog?

For example, firewall log entries used to fill up the /var/log/warn file.
By using the new daemon it is possible to filter them out and send then to
a new separate file of their own.

For example, my mail.info file was being filled with stupid debug messages
from amavis-new. No longer, I filtered them out. I learned how to do that
in less than two hours on my own.

If you don't like the new daemon, you can easily enough revert to the old
one.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson