Re: [SLE] More About Kat -- v 0.5.3??
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 07:32:02 -0700
Anders,

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 07:01, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 15:41, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>
> That's not the kat homepage. That's the kde-look page for it. The
> home page is kat.sourceforge.net, and on
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=131039

It sure isn't easy to find via an Internet search, for some reason. I
only learned of Kat via the KDE-Look RSS feed, which is why I never
found the actual home page, I suppose.

There actually is a SuSE 9.3 RPM of 0.5.3 on the Kat "showfiles" page,
but it requires a version of libsqlite that is not present on my
system, which is not true of the RPM on the SuSE supplementary for KDE
mirror.

> you can see that 0.5.3 is available.

> > Does anyone here know how these "supplementary" releases are
> > managed
>
> They're not
>
> > and
> > who (organizationally) has the responsibility for producing them?
>
> No one has that responsibility. supplementary packages are provided
> as an optional extra, as and when someone feels like building. It is
> not a guaranteed service by any means

That makes no sense. The primary server is SuSE / Novell's. Someone
build the RPMs there and someone built the Kat 0.5.2 and 0.5.3 RPMs
that appeared there recently. Surely the primary server is not writable
by the world, hence there are those with the privileges to add packages
there. These are the people to whom I'm referring.

> The person building the package should be visible in the package
> changelog

OK.

Randall Schulz