RE: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 23:24:58 -0800
On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 3:40 AM, Ken Schneider wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 00:42 -0400, Mike McMullin wrote:
>> On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 00:10, James F. Pirtle wrote:
>> > Hello List;
>> >
>> > My SuSE 9.1 thinks it is on a 56K dial up modem. It is really hooked
up to
>> > Warner Cable's Road Runner service.
>> >
>> > Any suggestion on the best way to get the correct setup? The current
modem is
>> > a Toshiba PCX 1000 and there is a Linksys cable DSL router between the
box
>> > and the modem. Not married to either piece of equipment and could
change if
>> > necessary.
>>
>> Have the router handle the connection and DHCP. Go into yast and
>> locate the section for network card "Choose the setup method"
>> I'm using "Automatic address setup (via DHCP). Click the next button
>> Host name is set to the name of your computer. As you can see mine is
>> P-733. Select a suitable Domain Name, don't use a real domain name
>> unless you have it registered, even then I'm not sure if it won't cause
>> problems, perhaps someone will know. Click the update name servers and
>> search list via DHCP, for the Name Server your's will most likely be
>> 192.168.0.1, it's the same intranet address that you use to configure
>> the router with.

>The Linksys router will be your default route but -not- your nameserver.
>Use the name servers provided by your ISP. The default address for
>linksys routers is 192.168.1.1 or at least it is for the two I have
>owned.

>> Click OK, and follow through to the end. That ought
>> to do it.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>--
>Ken Schneider
>UNIX since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE since 1998

> "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably
> the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge

On my network, my Linksys router is the name server as far as my Linux
machine is concerned (I have 192.168.1.1 specified as the name server in
Linux). I assume it just goes to the router and asks it for the ip address
and the router then gets it from one of my ISP name servers and hands it
back. At one point, ages ago, I had the ISP name server address in Linux (I
suppose by default), which caused no end of problems if my ISP provider was
unavailable (I couldn't access my network at all in that case, not even
local addresses!). So, if you just specify 192.168.1.1 as the name server
in Linux that should be all you need to do.

Greg Wallace