Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 22:24:22 -0400
On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 18:16 -0700, Scott Leighton wrote:

> > >What version of bind is running on your linksys router?
> > >

> > That I don't know. I logged into it but couldn't find any reference to a
> > bind version.
> >

> Probably because the Linksys router does not run bind.
>
> On mine, a BEFSR41, I can configure the dns server entries to hand out to
> DHCP clients on the Linksys DHCP page, but that's not the same as running a
> DNS server.
>
> Scott
Which is the point I was trying to send to Greg, Linksys routers do not
run bind and therefore cannot be pointed to as a DNS server. If his
entire network becomes unavailable when the nameserver was unavailable
then he does not have his local hosts files setup correctly (my best
guess). On the wrt54g wireless router with third party firmware you can
set it up to act as a local dns cache but it will not perform any
internet address translations.

--
Ken Schneider