RE: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 02:06:02 -0800

On Friday, May 27, 2005 @ 6:24 PM, Ken Schneider wrote:
>On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 18:16 -0700, Scott Leighton wrote:

>> > That I don't know. I logged into it but couldn't find any reference to
>> > bind version.
>> >

>> Probably because the Linksys router does not run bind.
>>
>> On mine, a BEFSR41, I can configure the dns server entries to hand out
>> DHCP clients on the Linksys DHCP page, but that's not the same as running
>> DNS server.
>>
>> Scott
>Which is the point I was trying to send to Greg, Linksys routers do not
>run bind and therefore cannot be pointed to as a DNS server. If his
>entire network becomes unavailable when the nameserver was unavailable
>then he does not have his local hosts files setup correctly (my best
>guess). On the wrt54g wireless router with third party firmware you can
>set it up to act as a local dns cache but it will not perform any
>internet address translations.

>--
>Ken Schneider
>UNIX since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE since 1998

> "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably
> the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge

When I first installed SuSE, it defaulted to going out to my ISP, grabbing
the name server addresses, and storing those as its name servers (you could
see them from the YAST screen we were discussing earlier in this thread).
Then, if I lost my connection to my ISP, my network would not start. I'd
get a message saying it could not access my name server. Setting Linux to
look to my router for names solved that problem. It checked the router for
the name server and the router basically said it was ready to supply the
names as needed. At least that's the behavior it exhibited at startup.

Greg W.