Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 08:22:49 -0700
On Saturday 28 May 2005 2:56 am, Greg Wallace wrote:
> On Friday, May 27, 2005 5:17 PM, Scott Leighton wrote:
> >>
> >> nameserver.

> same

> it

> IS

> >> That I don't know. I logged into it but couldn't find any reference to
> >> a bind version.
> >
> > Probably because the Linksys router does not run bind.
> >
> > On mine, a BEFSR41, I can configure the dns server entries to hand out
> >
> >DHCP clients on the Linksys DHCP page, but that's not the same as running
> >
> >DNS server.
> >
> > Scott
>
> But it's just grabbing the ip address from the name server it sees at the
> ISP and handing it off to Linux, right? So as far as Linux is concerned,
> it is the name server (it doesn't know the difference).

No, that's not the way I understand it. It's passing the address of the
nameservers to your Linux box via DHCP, your Linux box then uses
those addresses for /etc/resolv.conf, so the end result is that your
Linux box gets its list of DNS servers from the Linksys, but after
that, it is simply resolving addresses using the servers that
were on the list, the Linksys isn't directly involved. The Linksys
isn't running a nameserver, it is only passing out the addresses
of nameservers.

Scott

--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
http://popfile.sourceforge.net/