Re: [SLE] Copy spool mail files?
  • From: Jim Flanagan <linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 20:34:35 -0500
On Saturday May 28 2005 8:06 pm, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Sunday 29 May 2005 03:01, Jim Flanagan wrote:
> > Is there a way to copy email from one boot /var/spool/mail to a differnt
> > boot /var/spool/mail? One is SuSE 9.3 and the other is 8.2. I only have
> > 3 users set up so far.
>
> The mbox format used in spool files is very old. You should be able to just
> copy the files straight across. Just make sure the ownership is correct,
> the default user IDs changed. Your 8.2 by default numbered users from uid
> 500 while 9.3 starts at 1000

Thanks Anders. But I guess I did not fully state my question. I have been
bouncing back and forth between both installs, trying to configure posftix on
the new one. Now I have mail in both /var/spool/mail dirs, some on one,
others on the other.

Is there a way to merge these?

Also, I have quite a few quesitons in setting up postfix. I notice Ken says
configuring postfix is a bear. If its a bear to him, I don't really know what
to call it myself.

I've been using kmail, which I quite like. But, as I'm away from my computer
for times, I use uw-imap and squirrelmail to check the list. From time to
time I log in, get all mail into kmail, and go from there. Not really what I
want. Having access to only some mail while I'm away. I like kmail's filters,
easy to set up. I've never gotten to procmail or anyting like that. I just
did today get my 9.3 install to all me to send mail to myself from outside
using sasl, amazingly using yast/etc/sysconfig editor. Haven't got TLS
working yet, still working on that. Haven't figured out how to send mail to
the list (or others for that matter )from outside, and without being a relay
for others.

What I really want to accomplish (I think) is to have an imap setup where I
can see all my mail, some kept from a year or so back, just like I can logged
in locally with kmail. I believe courier is one way to go with that. But I'm
unclear how to set up something (procmail?) to get the mail
from /var/log/mail to /home/me, hopefully sorted in the right folders.

Can someone point me to a step by step guide to this? I've read some of the
guides at postfix.org which are very helpful. But, I only have less than 10
users here so I'd like to stay with the default suse packages if possible. Or
I could use one of Anders N's recent compiles if that saves me a bunch of
trouble.

Many thanks,

Jim Flanagan