Re: [SLE] Copy spool mail files?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 03:57:22 +0200
On Sunday 29 May 2005 03:34, Jim Flanagan wrote:
> Thanks Anders. But I guess I did not fully state my question. I have been
> bouncing back and forth between both installs, trying to configure posftix
> on the new one. Now I have mail in both /var/spool/mail dirs, some on one,
> others on the other.
>
> Is there a way to merge these?

Sure, it's a relatively simple mail format. Just make sure no programs are
running that use the spool file, and then do

and then "mv" the new spool file to whichever place you want to actually use
(or possibly both)

Make sure you take backups of the original spool files before you overwrite
them, just in case you make a typo or something

> Also, I have quite a few quesitons in setting up postfix. I notice Ken says
> configuring postfix is a bear. If its a bear to him, I don't really know
> what to call it myself.

Depends on your needs. Postfix was designed with two basic design criteria:
security and ease of configuration. For a "normal" mail server, it's very
simple to set up. The default SUSE configuration will get you a long way
towards the goal, and then with a few minor modifications, you are there,
unless you have specific needs (high performance, virtual users, special
authentication setups etc)

> I've been using kmail, which I quite like. But, as I'm away from my
> computer for times, I use uw-imap and squirrelmail to check the list. From
> time to time I log in, get all mail into kmail, and go from there. Not
> really what I want. Having access to only some mail while I'm away. I like
> kmail's filters, easy to set up. I've never gotten to procmail or anyting
> like that.

I use cyrus imap, and do all filtering on the imap server using a sieve
script. Works very well and isn't hard to do, although as far as I know there
is no good GUI way of creating the sieve script so I do it by hand in a text
editor, but the syntax is simple.

> I just did today get my 9.3 install to all me to send mail to
> myself from outside using sasl, amazingly using yast/etc/sysconfig editor.
> Haven't got TLS working yet, still working on that. Haven't figured out how
> to send mail to the list (or others for that matter )from outside, and
> without being a relay for others.

Authentiated SMTP is one way. Another is to use squirrelmail, since then you
would actually be sending mail from the local machine, so you won't have to
open up postfix to allow relaying from outside

> What I really want to accomplish (I think) is to have an imap setup where I
> can see all my mail, some kept from a year or so back, just like I can
> logged in locally with kmail. I believe courier is one way to go with that.
> But I'm unclear how to set up something (procmail?) to get the mail
> from /var/log/mail to /home/me, hopefully sorted in the right folders.

That is one option, to use procmail to get the mail to your home folder.
Another is to do what I do and store everything directly in cyrus imap. In
suse this is very easy to do, you basically have to set POSTFIX_MDA to
"cyrus" in /etc/sysconfig/postfix and run SuSEconfig --module postfix, then
read /usr/share/doc/packages/cyrus-imapd/README.SuSE on how to create your
users in cyrus, create the ones you need, and you're done

> Can someone point me to a step by step guide to this? I've read some of the
> guides at postfix.org which are very helpful. But, I only have less than 10
> users here so I'd like to stay with the default suse packages if possible.
> Or I could use one of Anders N's recent compiles if that saves me a bunch
> of trouble.

I think those builds are just to use mysql as an authentication backend

< Previous Next >