Re: [SLE] Copy spool mail files?
  • From: Jim Flanagan <linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 22:19:47 -0500
On Saturday May 28 2005 8:57 pm, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Sunday 29 May 2005 03:34, Jim Flanagan wrote:
> > Thanks Anders. But I guess I did not fully state my question. I have been
> > bouncing back and forth between both installs, trying to configure
> > posftix on the new one. Now I have mail in both /var/spool/mail dirs,
> > some on one, others on the other.
> >
> > Is there a way to merge these?
>
> Sure, it's a relatively simple mail format. Just make sure no programs are
> running that use the spool file, and then do

> and then "mv" the new spool file to whichever place you want to actually
> use (or possibly both)
>
> Make sure you take backups of the original spool files before you overwrite
> them, just in case you make a typo or something

Many thanks Anders. That sounds easy enough. I'll get to that tonight.

> > Also, I have quite a few quesitons in setting up postfix. I notice Ken
> > says configuring postfix is a bear. If its a bear to him, I don't really
> > know what to call it myself.
>
> Depends on your needs. Postfix was designed with two basic design criteria:
> security and ease of configuration. For a "normal" mail server, it's very
> simple to set up. The default SUSE configuration will get you a long way
> towards the goal, and then with a few minor modifications, you are there,
> unless you have specific needs (high performance, virtual users, special
> authentication setups etc)
>
> > I've been using kmail, which I quite like. But, as I'm away from my
> > computer for times, I use uw-imap and squirrelmail to check the list.
> > From time to time I log in, get all mail into kmail, and go from there.
> > Not really what I want. Having access to only some mail while I'm away. I
> > like kmail's filters, easy to set up. I've never gotten to procmail or
> > anyting like that.
>
> I use cyrus imap, and do all filtering on the imap server using a sieve
> script. Works very well and isn't hard to do, although as far as I know
> there is no good GUI way of creating the sieve script so I do it by hand in
> a text editor, but the syntax is simple.
>
> > I just did today get my 9.3 install to all me to send mail to
> > myself from outside using sasl, amazingly using yast/etc/sysconfig
> > editor. Haven't got TLS working yet, still working on that. Haven't
> > figured out how to send mail to the list (or others for that matter )from
> > outside, and without being a relay for others.
>
> Authentiated SMTP is one way. Another is to use squirrelmail, since then
> you would actually be sending mail from the local machine, so you won't
> have to open up postfix to allow relaying from outside

Yeah, I have been using Squirrelmail for some time now. I like it. But, with
all the mail in spool using uw-imap, the thread sort gets pretty slow after
about 3 or 4,000 emails. Perhaps with Cyrus this will relieve that issue.

> > What I really want to accomplish (I think) is to have an imap setup where
> > I can see all my mail, some kept from a year or so back, just like I can
> > logged in locally with kmail. I believe courier is one way to go with
> > that. But I'm unclear how to set up something (procmail?) to get the mail
> > from /var/log/mail to /home/me, hopefully sorted in the right folders.
>
> That is one option, to use procmail to get the mail to your home folder.
> Another is to do what I do and store everything directly in cyrus imap. In
> suse this is very easy to do, you basically have to set POSTFIX_MDA to
> "cyrus" in /etc/sysconfig/postfix and run SuSEconfig --module postfix, then
> read /usr/share/doc/packages/cyrus-imapd/README.SuSE on how to create your
> users in cyrus, create the ones you need, and you're done

I've never really looked close at Cyrus. Will do. I may ask you more about the
sieve filters later.

> > Can someone point me to a step by step guide to this? I've read some of
> > the guides at postfix.org which are very helpful. But, I only have less
> > than 10 users here so I'd like to stay with the default suse packages if
> > possible. Or I could use one of Anders N's recent compiles if that saves
> > me a bunch of trouble.
>
> I think those builds are just to use mysql as an authentication backend

Again, many thanks,

Jim Flanagan
linuxjim at jjfiii.com

< Previous Next >