RE: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 23:44:15 -0400
On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 05:56, Greg Wallace wrote:
> On Friday, May 27, 2005 5:17 PM, Scott Leighton wrote:
> >>
> >> nameserver.

> same
> it

> IS

> >> That I don't know. I logged into it but couldn't find any reference to a
> >> bind version.
> >>

> > Probably because the Linksys router does not run bind.
>
> > On mine, a BEFSR41, I can configure the dns server entries to hand out to
>
> >DHCP clients on the Linksys DHCP page, but that's not the same as running a
>
> >DNS server.
>
> > Scott
>
> But it's just grabbing the ip address from the name server it sees at the
> ISP and handing it off to Linux, right? So as far as Linux is concerned, it
> is the name server (it doesn't know the difference).

I looked at my /etc/resolv.conf and it contains:

nameserver 192.168.2.1
search mwmcmlln.ca

the 192.168.2.1 is my SMC-Barricade broadband handler connected to an
ADSL modem. the mwmcmlln.ca is now a valid and registered domain, but
not when I set up this machine. the backup file
/etc/resolv.conf.saved.by.dhcp contains the same entries.