Re: [SLE] Root password corrupt?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 07:15:37 +0200
On Sunday 29 May 2005 07:01, suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx wrote:
> On 5/28/05 5:11 PM, "Anders Johansson" <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > As for the problem, I would ask: is there a y or a z in the password, or
> > some special characters? A common bug is that the keyboard is set to
> > German regardless of what is selected during installation.
>
> I think that was the answer I was looking for...
> Yes, there are y's or z's and-or special characters in the password.
> Is there a work around for this?
>
> However, I have been able to log in for the past few months...so this is a
> sudden thing. Same bug?

Hm, suddenly I'm not so sure I understand the situation.

After I sent the mail I noticed your reply to Ken's mail, where you said you
couldn't even log in through ssh. Your comment was "nothing", what exactly
does that mean? Do you mean the password doesn't work, or do you literally
mean you get nothing, not even a password prompt when you try ssh:ing to the
machine?

Have you ever been able to log in through ssh?

How do you log in when you are sitting by the machine? Through the graphical
login screen?

If you are, then try switching to a text screen by pressing ctrl-alt-F1 and
try logging in as root there. As far as I know, the german keyboard bug is
only in graphical mode. If that works you can edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and
change the XkbLayout from "de" to whatever it should be in your locale

But if my assumptions are wrong then the problem is elsewhere. It would help
if you explained exactly how you are trying to log in, and exactly how it
fails ('it doesn't work' isn't good. 'the screen flashes and brings me back
to the login' or 'I get an error saying user or password is wrong' or
something equally detailed is better)

< Previous Next >