Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 11:58:55 -0400
On Sunday 29 May 2005 11:27 am, Scott Leighton wrote:
> On Sunday 29 May 2005 5:14 am, Greg Wallace wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 28, 2005 @ 7:23 AM, Scott Leighton wrote:
> > > No, that's not the way I understand it. It's passing the address of
> > > the nameservers to your Linux box via DHCP, your Linux box then uses
> > > those addresses for /etc/resolv.conf, so the end result is that your
> > > Linux box gets its list of DNS servers from the Linksys, but after
> > > that, it is simply resolving addresses using the servers that
> > >were on the list, the Linksys isn't directly involved. The Linksys
> > >isn't running a nameserver, it is only passing out the addresses
> > >of nameservers.
> > >
> > > Scott
> >
> > That's the way it used to work (I'd see those ISP name server addresses
> > in my Linux box). Once I overrode that to my Router IP address, that's
> > the only address that showed up in Linux.
>
> Well, I'd love to know what model Linksys router you are using. I
> was unaware that any of them run a DNS server, but if you can
> simply point /etc/resolv.conf to your router and get DNS services,
> then the router must be running one.

Really? 'Didn't know? ALL routers, no matter what make will hand out DNS
addresses.....so will most HUBS. MANY HUBS will even do NAT. Most Linksys
routers have a firmware firewall, which isn't a bad idea when 'Bloze might be
on the inside of it.

Fred

--
"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"
Brought to you by the US Department of Homeland Security

< Previous Next >