Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 13:15:01 -0400
On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 12:32 -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
> > Really? 'Didn't know? ALL routers, no matter what make will hand out DNS
> > addresses.....so will most HUBS. MANY HUBS will even do NAT.
>
> ???
>
> Lessee know, according to my calendar, April 1 was a few weeks back.
>
> Perhaps you're wrong?
>
> I've never heard of a hub that's capable of anything more that
> regenerating and distributing packets. Also, a router does nothing more
> than forward layer 3 packets. Those Linksys and other boxes, include
> several functions, which *MIGHT* include DNS.

I have owned two different Linksys routers, the most resent being a
WRT54G. Neither, out of the box supports any DNS. I installed a third
party firmware in the 54g which will only support supplying DNS for any
DHCP addresses it hands out. Other than that it supplies no other DNS
info.

--
Ken Schneider