Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 14:31:38 -0400
On Sunday 29 May 2005 2:11 pm, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Sunday 29 May 2005 20:11, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > ???
> > >
> > > Lessee know, according to my calendar, April 1 was a few weeks back.
> > >
> > > Perhaps you're wrong?
> > >
> > > I've never heard of a hub that's capable of anything more that
> > > regenerating and distributing packets. Also, a router does nothing
> > > more than forward layer 3 packets. Those Linksys and other boxes,
> > > include several functions, which *MIGHT* include DNS.
> >
> > 'Just realized we're both maybe confused on this........I'm talking about
> > handing out addresses, and maybe you are talking about real addresses
> > from the Net.
>
> That's DHCP, not DNS. And even then, not all boxes that do routing do DHCP

True......not all do - just most. DNS IS passed on via most routers that I
know of, including mine....a Linksys. Some routers and switches have a LOT
more capability than they used to, as some others here have pointed out.

Fred

--
"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"
Brought to you by the US Department of Homeland Security

< Previous Next >