Re: [SLE] Disable ARTS
  • From: "Charles philip Chan" <cpchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 18:23:57 -0400
On 29 May 2005, rschulz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Well, even though most of those action sounds are utterly inane to me,
> keep in mind it includes KMail's notification sounds, the terminal beep
> in Konsole and probably some other sounds emitted by KDE apps you
> probably don't want squelched.

One can configure KDE to use an external program for notifications. Go to
kcontrol -> "Sound & Multimedia" -> "System Notifications" -> "Player
Settings" -> "Use an external player". Since the KDE system sounds are now in
Ogg Vorbis format, "play" and "aplay" wound not work- I personal use "musicus"
(http://muth.org/Robert/Musicus/).

Charles

--
"The move was on to 'Free the Lizard'"

-- Jim Hamerly and Tom Paquin (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)