Re: [SLE] Problem with swap space on Suse 9.1 installation
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 01:18:36 +0200
On Monday 30 May 2005 01:12, Paulo Coelho wrote:
> Can anyone help me on this one? I have very little experience with Linux,
> I’m probably doing something wrong…

No, you did everything right, and if you really have "little" experience with
linux I'm very impressed.

What you've discovered is just that hard drives are several thousand times
slower than internal memory. The phenomenon is known as "thrashing", meaning
you have so little memory compared to what the installer needs that it has to
swap in and out stuff almost constantly. If you wait long enough for it, it
will complete.

An easier option might be to find a machine with more memory in it, put the
hard disk in that one, then do the install and switch the drive back