Re: [SLE] Disable ARTS
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:59:58 -0700
Charles,

On Sunday 29 May 2005 16:21, Charles philip Chan wrote:
> On 29 May 2005, rschulz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Why? Why have a separate process get launched for each little
> > notification sound?
>
> These processes are really light weight, as opposed to the CPU
> intensive artsd. I don't really use KDE any way, I just use a few KDE
> apps. Also, I have a multi-channelled sound card, and I do not want a
> sound server hogging my sound device, even with auto-suspend.

That doesn't make much sense. The ARTS daemon runs continuously, and so
does not incur nearly the per-invocation cost of an outboard process.
Furthermore, there's only so much to do when it comes to playing sound.
You enqueue the samples it to the hardware. There's a bit of kernel
processing and some DMA. There's not much to it, assuming the sampling
rate and format are directly supported by the hardware.

> Charles

Randall Schulz