Re: [SLE] Disable ARTS
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 17:07:15 -0700
Andrew,

On Sunday 29 May 2005 15:21, Andrew Beames wrote:
> On Sunday 29 May 2005 22:44, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Andreas,

> > > If I had KMail beep on me every time I receive a message on this
> > > and other high traffic lists, I would go insane.
> >
> > Of course. Getting a sound on every mail transfer that retrieves
> > one or more messages would be excessive for many of us.
> >
> > But there are some mailboxes / lists / senders from whom I do want
> > to be notified, and I've enabled sound actions and distinctive
> > sounds with the filters that handle to those few classes of
> > messages.
>
> Alternatively, install festival and set up a filter to "tell" you who
> the mail is from:
> echo "new mail from mum" | festival --tts

No ... THANK ... _*YOU*_!!!

Gag. I can't stand the stupid elevator at work that tells me it's "going
up" and "going down" and "third floor" and all that nonsense. There's
precious little for which vocal output from a computer is to my taste.

Gag.

By the way, I gave it a try. It's one of the poorer implementations of
algorithmic text-to-speech I've heard.

And lastly, I think that sound is an underused form of information
output, but speech? No way. It needs much technical improvement before
it's even an option, and even then, there just isn't much for which
it's better than textual output.

> Regards,
>
> A.

Randall Schulz