Re: [SLE] Copy spool mail files?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 04:15:20 +0200
On Monday 30 May 2005 03:15, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Sunday 2005-05-29 at 19:19 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > Last time I checked, procmail cannot be forced to deposit
> > mail into arbitrary places in the file system.
>
> Sure? :-?

No. I don't use it myself, I see little point in it. I only remember the last
time someone wanted procmail to do something out of the ordinary, and it
wasn't easy. Even very experienced procmail users failed to come up with an
answer

> I think it can store in any folder, provided the user for which the email
> is destined owns the folder, because thats the user procmails runs under.
> The /etc/procmailrc is processed as root (except when using postfix), so
> it can access any place.

All mailboxes are owned by user cyrus, only root and cyrus can work with the
mailboxes, everything is stored in /var/spool/imap and there are caches and
other things that I really doubt procmail would be able to do the right thing
with. The naming scheme is also non-standard. Altogether too many hoops to
jump through for no benefit at all. sieve works, for almost all purposes