Re: [SLE] Disable ARTS
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 19:16:59 -0700
Charles,

On Sunday 29 May 2005 19:21, Charles philip Chan wrote:
> On 29 May 2005, rschulz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Those hits all appear to describe malfunctions. I've never seen any
> > such problems.
>
> Well, artsd taken up 1.7- 2.4% of cpu on my 2.4 GHz P4 system while
> playing an Vorbis file as oppose to 0.3% for musicus (same with
> xmms). It also takes up 0.7%- 1.4% when idle. Imagine what this will
> be like on a slower system. This point will be moot anyway once
> system notification support akode.

I've been logged in for 4 1/2 days and the artsd that was started when I
logged in has accumulated only 112 seconds of CPU time. I've monitored
it in top and it never bumps the CPU % column above zero when it is
idle.

Over the same period of time, my GKrellm has consumed almost 414 minutes
of CPU time.

My CPU is a 3.0 GHz HT Pentium 4.

I don't know why some people have these problems with ARTS, but clearly
they are not universal.

> This thread is getting out of hand.

My god, if you think this is "out of hand," you don't belong in on-line
discussions. So far it has been entirely on-topic and calm.c

> I was just pointing out in my
> original post that it is possible to use an external program for
> system notification and not about the merits or lack there of with
> artsd.

That's fine. And I asked why one would want to do such a thing. I still
see no point to doing so when the native KDE sound support seems to
work quite well.

Perhaps for people with problematic hardware there is a better choice,
but it is not so for me or, I think, in general.

> Charles

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >