Re: [SLE] Disable ARTS
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 06:23:53 -0700
Andrew,

On Monday 30 May 2005 01:01, Andrew Beames wrote:
> On Monday 30 May 2005 01:07, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Andrew,
> >
> > > Alternatively, install festival and set up a filter to "tell" you
> > > who the mail is from:
> > > echo "new mail from mum" | festival --tts
> >
> > No ... THANK ... _*YOU*_!!!

> > By the way, I gave it a try. It's one of the poorer implementations
> > of algorithmic text-to-speech I've heard.

> > Randall Schulz
>
> I agree the quality of the simple script I have is dubious. But its
> task is to notify me of emails from certain customers that require
> immediate attention - especially when I am working at another desk.
> And for that it is the perfect tool.

I have the same need, and I associate recognizable sounds with those
email filters. I suppose if you had more than a few of these, it would
be hard to come up with a meaningful and distinguishable set of sounds,
but do you really need an audible indication of precisely which
high-priority person sent you mail? You're just going to bring up the
KMail main window and visually scan for the high-priority mailboxe(s)
that have one or more unread messages, so you don't really need a
distinctive sound for each one.

> A.

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >