Re: [suse-sles-e] boot CD for SLES9 (Netboot YaST howto)
  • From: Michael James <Michael.James@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 14:36:30 +1000
On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:23 pm, Ajay Mulwani wrote:

> What I am looking for is booting the machine using CD
> and installing the OS from an nfs repository.
Good idea, it's faster and easier than juggling CDs.

But why not netboot into an install?

You'll need:
a DHCP server
with /etc/dhcpd.conf setup

a tftp server (atftpd)
with /tftpboot/pxelinux.0
and /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
the CD default kernel /tftpboot/sles9-vmlinuz.default
the CD YaST initrd /tftpboot/sles9-initrd.yast

a network repository of the Suse of your choice
(Suse Pro is always easy, just copy the DVD in whole)

Want to try it? Here we go...

Fire up YaST2 : Install and Remove Software
Install:
dhcp-server
syslinux
atftp (get rid of tftpd if you had it)

Edit /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd and set the correct interface
eg: DHCPD_INTERFACE="eth1"

Edit /etc/dhcpd.conf to include:

host target {
hardware ethernet <mac:address:of:target:machine>;
fixed-address <a.suitable.IP.number>;
server-name "<IP.of.TFTP.server>";
next-server <IP.of.TFTP.server>;
filename "pxelinux.0";
}

That tells the recently booted machine to get pxelinux.0 by TFTP.
So we need a copy of pxelinux.0 to serve:
root> cp -p /usr/share/syslinux/pxelinux.0 /tftpboot/pxelinux.0

pxelinux.0 is a fixed thing, the configuration comes in the next step
when it comes back looking in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/
for a file named after the hosts IP in uppercase Hex.
It keeps shaving digits off till there is nothing left
and finally tries for "default".

root> mkdir /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg

Create a file /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default with:

default yast

label yast
kernel sles9-vmlinuz.default
append load_ramdisk=1 initrd=sles9-initrd.yast

Copy the CDs into your NFS repository.

root> cp sles9/CD1/boot/loader/linux /tftpboot/sles9-vmlinuz.default
root> cp sles9/CD1/boot/loader/initrd /tftpboot/sles9-initrd.yast

Hit reset on the target box and set up the bios to netboot.

If you keep a terminal window (a wide one) on the server running
tail -f /var/log/messages
you will see the DHCP and TFTP requests being answered.

On the target console you should see the YaST installer fire up.

enjoy,
michaelj

--
Michael James michael.james@xxxxxxxx
System Administrator voice: 02 6246 5040

Internet Explorer is fine for downloading Firefox,
but after that....