RE: [SLE] Long DNS lookup times with 9.2
  • From: "Elijah Savage" <esavage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:56:21 -0500

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 08:29, Elijah Savage wrote:
<snip>
> Any ideas?

Hi Elijah,

Here's what I'd do if I were "in the driver's seat":

YaST -> Network Devices -> Network Cards

under "Network cards configuration"...

-> click 'Change' under 'Already configured devices'

-> your nic should already be highlighted; click 'Edit'

-> verify the Automatic address setup (via DHCP) checkbox is selected

-> click 'Host name and name server setting' then 'Accept' (not
'Modify')

-> verify and jot down the existing entries for Name Server 1 & 2 (3?) +

Domain Search 1 & 2 (3?) I like to have these for later reference.

-> verify the 'Update name servers and search list via DHCP checkbox is
selected

-> click 'Back' then 'Routing'; verify your default gateway is entered
here. (the one in my router is 192.168.1.1)

-> uncheck the 'Enable IP Forwarding' checkbox if it has been
accidentally selected previously

-> click 'Back' then 'Advanced' and 'DHCP Client Options'

-> leave DHCP Client Identifier blank; verify 'Host Name to Send' is set

to "AUTO"

-> click 'Next' to have YaST complete this configuration

-> in Firefox, select 'Edit' and 'Preferences'

-> select 'General' in the left panel, then 'Connection Settings' on the

right

-> verify these settings are appropriate for your environment (select
'Direct connection...' unless you're using a proxy)

-> you should see 'localhost, 127.0.0.1' in the 'No Proxy for:' field

-> click 'OK'

-> enter 'about:config' in the main address bar.

-> scroll down until you see this entry:

user_pref("network.dns.disableIPv6", false);

-> right-click on it and toggle it to "true"

-> close and restart Firefox.

-> go for a test drive and I hope you have improved results

In my opinion, all things being equal, Firefox /does/ seem a
smidgen slower on this machine than I expected it to be. But it's
performance isn't /bad/ either -- just possibly a little disappointing
after all the hype?

good luck & regards!

- Carl