Re: [SLE] Linux and Windows XP :-)
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:04:09 -0500
On Tuesday 01 March 2005 10:49 am, Mike McMullin wrote:

> Someone I know who's running (a pirate version of) XP and 9.1 upgraded
> to an USB keyboard. It worked fine until he started to trash what he
> thought was garbage in his XP, and lost his USB. I suggested that he
> try 9.1 instead, but he seems to have forgotten his password, and has
> gone out and replaced his USB keyboard and mouse with PS/2 jobs. I'll
> try and bring a copy of Knoppix the next time I see him, and see how
> that handles the USB hardware.
AFAIK: Knoppix should work fine. You can always reset your Linux password by
booting into a rescue disk. There are a couple of ways (after booting the
media):
Mount the root file system of the installed system onto some free directory,
say /mnt

--------------------------
chroot to that directory
then change passwords using passwd.

Example:
$ mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
$ chroot /mnt
$ passwd
Changing password for root.
New password: ...

Another way is to simply edit /etc/shadow, and empty out the root password:
root::12843:0:10000::::
-----^---< The password follows the first colon.

Then unmount /mnt and boot the installed system.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group