Re: [SLE] DSL problem
  • From: Jeffrey Laramie <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 23:53:51 -0500
> Yes! I did all that to start with. Actually, I had that working for
> dialup with the modem on ppp0 and I switched it to eth1.
>
> I also tried pinging back and forth from different boxes and the server.
> I can ping net addresses and internal network boxes from my server, so
> the connections are fine.

OK, well I think this is probably a routing problem then. It probably has to
do with the point Ian made about your IP addresses. If the DSL modem insists
on being 192.168.0.1 then you should change the subnet of your lan to
something else like 192.168.1.0/24. Try this:

DSL modem - 192.168.0.1
inet facing NIC - 192.168.0.2
LAN facing NIC - 192.168.1.1
LAN Client - 192.168.1.2

Make sure masquerading and IP forwarding are up. You'll need to configure your
routing table too, setting your default gateway to 192.168.0.2. I'm not
really a routing expert but if you get stuck I can show you a configuration
that works for me.

> Thanks for the ideas. I tried to respond to your first post, but had
> downloaded the mail to my server and then found out I can't send mail.
> A problem for tomorrow! LOL

No problem. I'm going to have a brewski and call it a night. I've pretty much
reached the end of my usefulness (at least for today, although I fear
permanent obsolescence is approaching faster than I care to admit).

Jeff