Re: [SLE] Linux and Windows XP :-)
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:28:33 -0500
On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 14:40, Chadley Wilson wrote:

> > > Not that I want to make our lives more complicated using M$ Software
> > > but doesn't XP have it's own boot loader on the order of the one that
> > > came with NT? I know that with NT you can, and it was recommended that
> > > you, use the NT boot loader to choose OS'.
> >
> > I never used NT and I'm not aware of an XP boot loader, but I can honestly
> > say that I've repeatedly had windoze installation disks ruin my existing
> > Linux partitions so I would never trust a windoze boot loader.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> Sorry Guys you can't to my knowledge boot a Linux partition with Winblows NT
> bootloader
> I have been trying for it for some persistent customers since XP came out, and
> Windows Support know less about XP than me.

With a valid Linux boot partition apparently the formula for NT and 2k
is:

/usr/sbin/rdev /boot/vmlinuz

/dev/hd?? on /boot type ext? (rw)

(note the result of /dev/hd??)

dd if=/dev/hd?? of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

(copies boot sector of linux to file)

copy file to floppy

Boot NT/2k

shell to prompt

attrib -s -r c:\boot.ini

edit c:\boot.ini (plain text editor) and add to bottom of file:

C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux"

Save and exit

attrib +s +r c:\boot.ini

reboot system and it ought to be a usable option. This assumes an
untainted (non-MS :( ) MBR, so you might need an old boot\rescue floppy
to fdisk /mbr if Lilo or Grub is located there.

< Previous Next >