Re: [SLE] KDE freezes frequently on Suse 9.x
  • From: William Gallafent <william@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:33:27 +0000
On Wednesday 02 March 2005 12:23, Gabor Istvan wrote:

> My KDE desktop frequently freezes. I can't use
> CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart or switch to text mode with
> CTRL+ALT+F(1,2 etc). I can't even login from other
> computers throug the network. Currently I am using SuSE
> Linux Pro with the default updated kernel
> (2.6.8-24.11-default) but I had similar/same problem on
> SuSE 9.1. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400
> with the NVIDIA driver SuSE installed (openGL enabled).

Hi,

First, it might be a good idea to get the latest driver from
NVIDIA, if that is a later version than the one installed by
YaST.

Second, I experienced many lockups (usually KMail redrawing
the message index, for some reason) on a machine with a
GeForceFX5600 in, which I solved by rebuilding the NVIDIA
kernel module with a maximum AGP speed of 2x (it was using
4x before). There are instructions for this somewhere in the
README I think. Unfortunate that you can't just specify a
maximum AGP multiplier in xorg.conf, but never mind.

--
Bill