Re: [SLE] DSL problem
  • From: Jeffrey Laramie <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:00:09 -0500
On Wednesday 02 March 2005 09:37, Damon Register wrote:
> Jeffrey Laramie wrote:
> > OK, well I think this is probably a routing problem then. It probably has
> > to do with the point Ian made about your IP addresses. If the DSL modem
> > insists on being 192.168.0.1 then you should change the subnet of your
> > lan to
>
> I am really confused here. Why would a DSL modem be presenting an
> address like that? Why would a modem even have an address? Are
> you referring to the address your provider gives you? Just
> yesterday a coworker told me about his father who had Bellsouth.
> He said that Bellsouth was putting the users on a private subnet
> so it was impossible for the coworker to access his fathers pc with
> pcAnywhere. Is "your name" on such a private subnet? Is it Bellsouth?

This may vary based on the hardware. DSL services here use routers that are
assigned a valid external IP by the ISP and then route IPs in your subnet to
the inet facing NIC in your firewall box or alternately to a hub/switch. If
you connect a firewall then you use NAT/masq on the firewall to connect the
private IPs on the lan to the internet. If you use a hub/switch then the
boxes on that subnet should have valid external IPs assigned.

In his original post the OP assigned 3 different IPs in the same local subnet
so I assumed that represented 1 remote DSL router and 2 NICs on the host. If
there is only a dsl modem and one NIC then I don't know what the other IP is
assigned to. Jim, maybe you can clarify this by posting the output of
ifconfig and describing the physical layout of your LAN.

> > something else like 192.168.1.0/24. Try this:
>
> Yes, this is very important. It must be on a different subnet
>
> > DSL modem - 192.168.0.1
> > inet facing NIC - 192.168.0.2
> > LAN facing NIC - 192.168.1.1
> > LAN Client - 192.168.1.2
> >
> > Make sure masquerading and IP forwarding are up. You'll need to configure
> > your routing table too, setting your default gateway to 192.168.0.2. I'm
> > not
>
> No, the default gateway should be 192.168.1.1, the address of the LAN
> facing NIC.

That's correct for the clients on the LAN, but the host acting as a router
needs to have the default route set to the internet facing device. Otherwise
that host/router will send all non-local traffic back to the LAN. I'd post an
example from my firewall but it's a lot different configuration and would
only confuse the issue.

> > reached the end of my usefulness (at least for today, although I fear
> > permanent obsolescence is approaching faster than I care to admit).
>
> Is that a funny way of saying you are getting older?

Yup, fraid so.

Jeff

< Previous Next >