Re: [SLE] DSL problem
  • From: Damon Register <damon.w.register@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 06:37:03 -0800
Jeffrey Laramie wrote:
OK, well I think this is probably a routing problem then. It probably has to do with the point Ian made about your IP addresses. If the DSL modem insists on being 192.168.0.1 then you should change the subnet of your lan to
I am really confused here. Why would a DSL modem be presenting an
address like that? Why would a modem even have an address? Are
you referring to the address your provider gives you? Just
yesterday a coworker told me about his father who had Bellsouth.
He said that Bellsouth was putting the users on a private subnet
so it was impossible for the coworker to access his fathers pc with
pcAnywhere. Is "your name" on such a private subnet? Is it Bellsouth?

something else like 192.168.1.0/24. Try this:
Yes, this is very important. It must be on a different subnet

DSL modem - 192.168.0.1
inet facing NIC - 192.168.0.2
LAN facing NIC - 192.168.1.1
LAN Client - 192.168.1.2

Make sure masquerading and IP forwarding are up. You'll need to configure your routing table too, setting your default gateway to 192.168.0.2. I'm not
No, the default gateway should be 192.168.1.1, the address of the LAN facing
NIC.

reached the end of my usefulness (at least for today, although I fear permanent obsolescence is approaching faster than I care to admit).
Is that a funny way of saying you are getting older?

Damon Register