Re: [SLE] release of Suse 9.3 ?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:33:06 -0500
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:22:36 -0600, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 March 2005 09:00, Kevanf1 wrote:

> A while ago, Novell announced its plan for maintaining versions of SuSE. For
> example, SuSE 9.1 is still being maintained (in terms of security patches, at
> least). How long is this maintenance period? One version? Two
> versions? ...?
>
> dj tuchler

I don't think it has changed recently, so 2 years minimum for tho pro
series and 5 years for the SLES series.

The 5 year thing is very important to an Enterprise, so I'm glad
SUSE/Novell is doing that.

FYI: I consult for a large company that recently said Windows Servers
are DECLINING technology in their data center. The primary reason was
the MS support policy. ie. Win2K drops support this summer. Forcing
everyone to move to Win2003. WIn2003 support drops in 2008, so users
are only getting 3 years out of each release. My client has decided
this is not acceptable.

FYI2: They are currently recommending Windows Server based projects
move to SLES!!!!!!

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer