Re: [SLE] Can't login as my normal user
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:04:42 +0100
On Wednesday 02 March 2005 23:20, Your Name wrote:
> > Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > >
> > >That is exactly what he is doing. He is booting up into run level 3,
>
> logging
>
> > >in, then running startx. He mentioned that run level 5 works fine.
> >
> > Actually, he gets the login screen, but can't log in as the usual user.
>
> Right! I have also tried gnome and it pops right back to the login
> screen too.

In your initial message you said you looked in every log file you knew. *What*
log files did you look in?

startx logs to .X.err in your home directory. Did you have a look in that
file?

To see if there is something in your home directory that is not owned by you,
do as root:

find /home/user_name ! -type l -and \( ! -user user_name -or ! -group
group_name \) -exec ls -l {} \;

(better use cut & paste to copy that line into a terminal window)

Instead of user_name and group_name, you can use user_id and/or group_id.

Cheers,

Leen