Re: [SLE] X hangs...
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:33:17 +0100
Hi Martin,

You replied to me privately instead of to the list. Better reply to the list,
as there might be others (either now or in the future) who are interested in
the solution. ;)

I hope you do not mind that I replied to the list instead of replying to you.

On Thursday 03 March 2005 00:01, Martin wrote:
> Leendert Meyer wrote:
> > I hope you have an ssh server running on that file server. If so, you
> > can login on that box in text-mode with:
> >
> > ssh root@host_name
>
> Aha! oepn sesame...

Yup. :)

> >If you can't use a Linux box, use putty instead. That's an ssh client that
> >runs on windows (google for putty+windows).
>
> Aha again.. I was about to ask :)
>
> >Oh, and have a look at /var/log/messages, /var/log/warn
> >and /var/log/Xorg.*.log to see what went wrong. ;)
>
> Xserver died during startup... (kdm[9112]) It says...

Anything in /var/log/kdm.log? (forgot about that one... ;)

BTW, do you need to have X running on the file server?

> BTW: Patrick on 81.2.197.43- I have now disabled the port...

Better stealth all ports, open those ports you *need* to be open, and only
close port 113 (ident). And don't tell others what you did. If they have some
grey matter working, they already know before they read this mail. And if
not, then you don't have to worry. ;P

Cheers,

Leen

< Previous Next >