Re: [SLE] KDE freezes frequently on Suse 9.x
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 03:47:36 +0000
William Gallafent wrote:
On Wednesday 02 March 2005 12:23, Gabor Istvan wrote:

My KDE desktop frequently freezes. I can't use
CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart or switch to text mode with
CTRL+ALT+F(1,2 etc). I can't even login from other
computers throug the network. Currently I am using SuSE
Linux Pro with the default updated kernel
(2.6.8-24.11-default) but I had similar/same problem on
SuSE 9.1. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400
with the NVIDIA driver SuSE installed (openGL enabled).

Hi,

First, it might be a good idea to get the latest driver from
NVIDIA, if that is a later version than the one installed by
YaST.

Second, I experienced many lockups (usually KMail redrawing
the message index, for some reason) on a machine with a
GeForceFX5600 in, which I solved by rebuilding the NVIDIA
kernel module with a maximum AGP speed of 2x (it was using
4x before). There are instructions for this somewhere in the
README I think. Unfortunate that you can't just specify a
maximum AGP multiplier in xorg.conf, but never mind.

Use NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run, nvidia has told me that the problem with badly garbled display with the 6229 driver will be fixed in the next release.
BTW, some good news, Christian Zander who for a long time has provided patches to nvidia drivers on his minion.de website to make them compatible with the latest development kernels is now working for nvidia and has posted patches to the nvidia Linux forum.
Regards
Sid.
--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and Keen Flyer
=====ALMOST ALL LINUX USED HERE, Solaris 10 SPARC is just for play=====