newbie backup/reinstall/dual boot advice
  • From: Daniel Sheppeard <daniel.sheppeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:54:20 -0600
Please enlighten a fragile newbie.

Here's what I have:
Suse 9.1 Personal, 2 hard drives, one 30GB (currently the primary) and
one 6GB (secondary with pretty much nothing on it).

Here what I want to to:
Swap out the 6GB with a newly acquired 120GB drive.
Install Windows XP ( I swear its only so that my wife can play games!)
Without losing current data or having to reinstall all my software.

Here's my current plan:
Perform system backup using YaST's System Backup, burn this to DVD. (done)
Swap out the 6GB with the 120GB.
Install Windows XP :P
Reinstall Suse Linux with dual-boot enabled.
Use YaST's 'Restore system' to get Linux back to where it was?

Questions:
Will this do what I described above?
Is this the right/best way? Or is there a better/easier way?
Will I have to re-install all my programs, or will this do the trick?
Am I a complete lunatic for trying this?

Please be gentle. I'm a lowly newbie who desperately wants to learn
the In's and Out's of Linux but am working with very little time to do
so at present.

T. Daniel