Re: [SLE] KDE freezes frequently on Suse 9.x
  • From: William Gallafent <william@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:09:17 +0000
On Thursday 03 March 2005 03:47, Sid Boyce wrote:
> William Gallafent wrote:
> > Second, I experienced many lockups (usually KMail redrawing
> > the message index, for some reason) on a machine with a
> > GeForceFX5600 in, which I solved by rebuilding the NVIDIA
> > kernel module with a maximum AGP speed of 2x (it was using
> > 4x before). There are instructions for this somewhere in the
> > README I think. Unfortunate that you can't just specify a
> > maximum AGP multiplier in xorg.conf, but never mind.
> >
> Use NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run, nvidia has told me that the
> problem with badly garbled display with the 6229 driver will be fixed in
> the next release.

Hmm, no badly garbled display here using 6629 (typo I
assume) driver (on an Athlon64/fxgo5600 or a
2xAthlonMP/FX5600) - just the lockups on the dual machine
which were fixed by dropping AGP to 2x.

I did (still do, I think .... can't remember and not in
front of correct machine) have lots of display artefacts
(twinkling pixels, occasional garbage/noisy lines) on the
second DVI-D head with the FX5600, which was consistent
through many revisions of the driver. I've only seen it
reported a few times, and it seems to be standard when using
standard GeForce (rather than Quadro) parts with two digital
outputs - the second one just can't quite manage. I suppose
this is just quite a rare configuration ...

> BTW, some good news, Christian Zander who for a long time
> has provided patches to nvidia drivers on his minion.de
> website to make them compatible with the latest
> development kernels is now working for nvidia and has
> posted patches to the nvidia Linux forum.

Ah, interesting - thanks for the tip.

On a different note (but getting somewhat OT), I notice that
ATI's fglrx driver, which has now been available for a
while, generates loads of artefacts (vertices in the wrong
place, primarily) when running the sproingies screensaver on
another machine (athlon64, Radeon Mobile 9700) ... which
aren't there with the NVIDIA driver ... so look on the
bright side :) (not but what, it's very nice to have fglrx
available for Athlon64 at last...)

--
Bill

< Previous Next >