Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (3666 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [SLE] An apology to the list
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:22:30 +0000
  • Message-id: <7bca46c5050303042235b5558b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 06:42:14 -0500, Patrick Shanahan
<ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx> [03-03-05 04:36]:
> > In which case we don't have a democratic list?
>
> That *is* correct. The list is a service provided by SuSE for the
> discussion about SuSE Linux in English and subject to their whim.
>
> > It is my belief that if a problem is identified in a mailing list then
> > it should be discussed. The reason for this thread.
>
> Did you read the "WELCOME to suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx" mail you received
> when you subscribed?

No. I don't really expect too many people do so. This would be a bit
like Microsoft seriously expecting people to read the EULA.

> <quote>
> Q7. Why do my replies go to the original poster and not the list?
> A7. There is a more complete answer in FAQ, but the short answer
> is that it's better this way. Trust us on this one, please.
> </quote>
>
> and from the suse-linux-e-faq@xxxxxxxx
>
> <quote>
> Q2. Why do my replies go to the original poster and not the list?
> A2. We do not "munge" the mail headers by inserting
> a "Reply-To: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx" because it makes it more
> difficult subscribers to handle the mail the way they want to.
> Your mail client probably has a "reply" function as well as a
> "reply to all" or "reply to list" one; Please use the latter if
> you want you message to go to the list and not just to the
> original poster.
>
> Also, please don't complain about this on the list, it has
> been discussed many, many, many times in the past already.
>
> For background information see
> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
> New! Even Sourceforge has turned to the dark side:
> http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=6693&group_id=1
> </quote>
>
> > I further believe that if enough members - the majority who are willing
> > to stand up and actually say something (useful) - wish a change to be
> > made then that change should be seriously investigated and perhaps put
> > to a vote. Nothing should ever be set absolutely in stone things do
> > evolve after all.
>
> Again, is not negotiable.
> --
> Patrick Shanahan Registered Linux User #207535
> http://wahoo.no-ip.org @ http://counter.li.org
> HOG # US1244711 Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery
>
> --
> Check the headers for your unsubscription address
> For additional commands send e-mail to suse-linux-e-help@xxxxxxxx
> Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
> Please read the FAQs: suse-linux-e-faq@xxxxxxxx
>
>
Hmmm, so this list will be how we want it not how the community of
users want it?

Surely, if as you say the subject crops up so many times it should be
properly voted on. I shall not bring it up again except to reply to
this thread but I bet somebody will do so. More evidence, obviously,
that not many people read the introduction to the list. An
introduction should be just that. A short sweet please don't flame,
please don't spam introduction. Not a great list of taboo subjects.
They are boring however well intentioned and they do get ignored.
Sorry, that's how things are.
--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street
Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire
WS6 7HR

< Previous Next >
Follow Ups