Re: [SLE] An apology to the list
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:25:43 +0000
> > > Why, do you have that much time to waste as to harp on such a mundane
> > > issue? Why do you think anyone has to defend "this policy?" This is the
> > > way it is, it will not change, nor will you change it for this list, or
> > > any EZMLM driven mail list. You have two choices, we all have choices,
> > > either change email clients or find another list to your liking.
> >
> > You're entitled to your opinions, but once again this is a "because
> > that's the way it is" answer. You may find this thread annoying but so
> > far the majority thinks this is an issue that needs to be addressed.
>
> I'm part of the *actual* majority who either 1) thinks the policy is good or
> 2) lives with it. We haven't been posting, because this is redundant,
> off-topic, and ineffectual.
>
> Changing headers in messages in order to compensate for stupid mail clients
> is bad. Anyone whose mail client can't properly handle a mailing list is
> broken. Period. Designing around broken clients is a poor decision -
> people with broken clients should get a good client, or learn to live with
> things being broken. They should *not* expect someone else to mangle
> posts, especially by overriding a perfectly valid reply-to header (yes,
> some people actually use that header for valid purposes).
>
> The majority is still sitting out, waiting for this stupid thread and the
> few users of incompetent mail programs to go away.
>
> --Danny
>
> --

I was the original poster to this thread. I am sorry it has
degenerated into 'nearly but not quite' a flame war. That was never
my intention. My original post did indeed point out the fact I
thought that there was a problem with Gmail. I did not in the first
instance question the way the list handled the reply options. Now I
did indeed start to question this later in the history of the thread.
I'm not trying to get out of this but it does now appear that I was
correct in my assumption that it is GMail that is at fault. I do
subscribe to another mailing list with my POP mail account using Kmail
and I agree that it is excellent in its handling of the list. I don't
want to swap my list address over to a POP account as I use the Gmail
one because of the massive free storage it offers. So I will put up
with it.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer