RE: [SLE] Problem with YOU
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:20:08 -0500
On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 03:17, Greg Wallace wrote:

> >| With the release of the SUSE Linux 9.2 FTP edition today, SUSE Security
> >| announces that the SUSE Linux 8.1 version of our home user product will
> >| be discontinued soon. Having provided security-relevant fixes for more
> >| than two years, vulnerabilities found in SUSE Linux 8.1 after January
> >| 31st 2005 will not be fixed any more for this product.

This states that there will -not- be any more fixes, hence there is
nothing to check no matter where they move them to.

> >| As a consequence, the SUSE Linux 8.1 distribution directories on our ftp
> >| server ftp.suse.com has been moved from /pub/suse/i386/8.1/ to the
> >| /pub/suse/discontinued/ directory tree structure to free space on our
> >| mirror sites for the SUSE Linux 9.2 FTP edition; the 8.1 directory in
> >| the update tree /pub/suse/i386/update/8.1 will follow later in
> >| February/March 2005, as soon as all updates have been published.

Once again, once all updates have been published there will not be any
more.

> >So, the updates are not probably in the same place, and what you will find
> >there are old patches.
> >
> >--
> >Cheers,
> > Carlos Robinson
>
> Thanks again for letting me know that I was just spinning my wheels trying
> to do a YOU update in my old (sigh) 8.1. Is it possible to run YOU against
> the "discontinued" directory. I made a couple of stabs at it but don't know
> whether YOU just can't be used against that directory or if it's because I
> don't know how to specify the path properly. I tried specifying it at
> various levels, but either I never got the it specified correctly or YOU
> simply can't be used against "discontinued". If I have a crash before I
> FINALLY get around to upgrading (I have all of the CDs from 8.2 to 9.2), it
> might be nice to be able to at least get back to the last level of patches,
> once I've done my usual YAST recovery.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg W

Bottom line Greg is that it is time to upgrade your install as there
will not be any further updates.

--
Ken Schneider

* Only reply to the list please*