Re: [SLE] cron.daily
  • From: Jim Cunning <jcunning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:40:32 -0800 (PST)
On Mar 4 at 10:37pm, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Friday 04 March 2005 22:23, Richard Bos wrote:
[...]
> > Why it the "-" sign in front of the
> > */15?
>
> To make cron shut up about it. If you don't have the - in there, every 15
> minutes you'll get a log message telling you that it's been run. Which will
> get annoying in the long run

The crontab man page says
If the uid of the owner is 0, he can put a "-" as first
character of a crontab entry. Then cron won't write a sys­
log message about this command.

It appears that "owner" means the user specified in the crontab entry, not
the owner of the crontab file. I have a system with "mailman" running that
has a queuerunner job as user "mdom" started every minute. Putting a "-"
in the entry for that job doesn't suppress the syslog entry. It would sure
be nice to be able to do that. Is there any other way?

Jim