RE: [SLE] Scanners
  • From: "Chris" <meliore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:28:30 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From: Imre Kalomista [mailto:ikalomista@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, 6 March 2005 3:59 AM
To: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [SLE] Scanners

the hcl (hardware compatibility list) at linuxquestions.org is also a
good place to look.

or you could search google.com/linux, and look for experiences and
possible problems.

hth

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:53:23 +0000, Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:15:18 -0500, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > > * John Graddy <jgraddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-04-05 21:56]:

> > > I am *very* happy with my usb Epson Perfection 2400 Photo Scanner, and
> > > only paid us$120 about a year ago.
> >
> > And I have an Epson Perfection 1260 Photo Scanner, which I paid about
> > $80 (CDN) for a little over a year ago. Works well.
> >

> > --
> >

> I would greatly recommend you look at the SuSE hardware compatibility
> list. Sorry I don't have the URL to hand but you can get it from the
> main SuSE page. Alternatively take a look at the SANE development
> page. Again, sorry I don't have the URL as I'm on a different PC. MY
> other PC is down at the moment and I can't access a load of my tool
> URLs. As soon as it is back up I'll post the URL if you still need
> it.
>
> --
> Take care.
> Kevan Farmer
>
> 34 Hill Street
> Cheslyn Hay
> Staffordshire
> WS6 7HR
>
> --

I have a Caonon Lide 20 attached to a Susue 9.2 box run by a athlon xp2000+.
It works better on Suse than xp.
If you look at the lists of compatable hardware you will notice that the
scanners to avoid are the ones that pretend to be usb. Other scanners seem
to work straight up or can be made to work. The canon worked without any
tinkering. All that was required was the straight forward yast configuration
of the scanner. I did notice that someone on this did have problems with
this scanner.
Chris