Re: [SLE] Maximum swap size
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:22:37 +0100
On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 14:07, James Knott wrote:
> One thing I've noticed, is that while there's been lots of talk, over
> the years, about minimum swap partition size, I don't recall seeing
> mention of a maximum size. For example, 32 bit CPUs have a maximum
> addressing range of 4 GB. Since swap is the virtual memory area, does
> this mean that it's also limited to 4 GB? If so, does that mean that
> the 64 bit CPUs can have a swap partition(s) of up to 16 exabytes?
>
> tnx jk

HI,

There used to be, a max size of a single swap-area chunk.
Afaik, it was 128MB, kernels 1.x or so (so long, long time ago)
Had to define two or four area's...

But what's the point?
Can't define swapspace larger than a free partition on your drive, and
if you have partitions upto or larger that 16EB, i'll like to know the
name of the hardware supplier.

Anyway, if you have need for such a swap-space, i think you have other
worries...
Not?

Hans