Re: [SLE] Maximum swap size
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 14:51:43 -0500
On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 01:44:35PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> Hans Witvliet wrote:
> >There used to be, a max size of a single swap-area chunk.
> >Afaik, it was 128MB, kernels 1.x or so (so long, long time ago)
> >Had to define two or four area's...
> >
> >But what's the point?
> >Can't define swapspace larger than a free partition on your drive, and
> >if you have partitions upto or larger that 16EB, i'll like to know the
> >name of the hardware supplier.

I can't even imagine a use for that much of a Swap.... RAM, sure, but Swap?
No.

> >Anyway, if you have need for such a swap-space, i think you have other
> >worries...
> >Not?
>

> This was more of a curiousity type question. Also, IIRC, you can have
> multiple swap partitions, so terabyte swap space is now a possibility,
> though I'd imagine exabyte swap is still a while away.

Not economical though, RAM would be more....useful. Swap is slow but great
for when you're low on RAM.... But if you can afford that much disk space,
I don't think you'd have problems affording RAM either in the first place.

> Incidentally, it wasn't all that long ago, that a fried was bragging
> that he had a total (4 or 5 drives) of 1 GB disk space on his OS/2 system!

All that wasted on OS/2?