Re: [SLE] VNC
  • From: Jim Flanagan <linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:37:45 -0600
On Friday 04 March 2005 4:00 pm, a.bridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The only thing I have done in Yast is enabled VNC which I thougt was remote
> administration. Then I opened VNC on the firewall. If it's not, remote
> administration, I have been on the wrong track. Ultimatly I want to be
> able to administer a server remotly in the office by seeing its desktop
> using either a web browser or another client. If your familiar with Radmin
> for Window, a feature like that. Radmin uses viewer instead of a web
> browser. Either way, I don't care.
>
> > On Friday 04 March 2005 16:06, a.bridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > I enable remote VNC in Yast and changed the firewall to allow VNC. I
> > > then rebooted the server just to be safe because it said I had to
> > > "rcxdm restart" from a console. I then tried to access the server
> > > using Firefox, which has Java enabled, by typing http://servername:5801
> > >
> > > At that point i'm asked for a VNC password.
Try just hitting OK, without a password. That should get you to your normal
login screen, where you will enter your machines username and password. Works
that way for me on both suse 8..2 and 9.1. Not sure what prompts VNC to
request a password, esp. one that is null.

Depending on what you are trying to do, you might find it better to connect
via a VNC client to VNC server directly. I use Real VNC on Win boxes, but
Tight works, and Ultra should. If you are on a local net just type in the IP
address to the remote box, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5901

You can also use this from outside (internet) but it's not secure. You can do
this securely by logging in using SSH, and port forwarding VNC to connect
using the VNC client. Works from anywhere you have decent Internet. This is
MUCH better that desktop sharing.

Hope this helps.

Jim Flanagan
linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx