Re: [SLE] Problem with YOU
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:33:54 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2005-03-07 at 04:34 -0600, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

> > > ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/discontinued/

> > I tried that site and that exact path (that's the only one I tired), and
> > that didn't work. I had used that server most of the time for my YOU
> > processing. Maybe there's some additional software in place on the regular
> >

> The actual path you would need to use is

Are you sure? I looked at the path YOU in my 9.1 uses, and the
"<arch>/updates/<version>/" is not there. YOU knows and expects to add
that part.

> > So, and here I'm drifting a bit, but not too much. When is SuSE going
> > to get the equivalent of a Windows ASR backup? I lost my Windows machine at
> >

> Probably when someone who really wants/needs it, and could actually write such
> a thing, gets around to writing it. This is definitely one big area where
> Linux is way behind the competition, though the argument probably will be made
> that, with mass storage media so cheap now, RAID is within reach of everyone.
> I'll buy that argument the day that all mass storage devices are hot-pluggable
> (without having to pay high-end server prices to get it).

Er... no. No administrator would substitute a backup for a raid. Raid is
certainly safer than single disks, but there is simply no excuse for not
having a backup scheme. Absolutely no excuses!

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson